There are several common arguments that people make in favor of abortion. Therefore, it is important that we answer the arguments in a way that is sensible and convincing.
(1) A woman has a right to control her own body. While it is true that a woman should control her own body, the baby's body is not her own. It is a different body with a genetic code that differs from the mother's. A woman's body does not have two hearts, heads, and blood types. And what if she is pregnant with a male child? Obviously his body differs from hers. In most cases, the woman got pregnant by not controlling her own body.
(2) We cannot know if the fetus is a human being. If that is so, shouldn't the benefit of the doubt go to preserving life? As President Ronald Reagan said, "I have often said that when we talk about abortion, we are talking about two lives--the life of the mother and the life of the unborn child. Why else do we call a pregnant woman a mother? I have also said that anyone who doesn't feel sure whether we are talking about a second human life should clearly give life the benefit of the doubt. If you don't know whether a body is alive or dead, you would never bury it. I think this consideration itself should be enough for all of us to insist on protecting the unborn" (Abortion and the Conscience of the Nation).
(3) It is better to abort a child than abuse one. Abortion is the worst form of child abuse. What could be more abusive than cutting someone into pieces with scissors or burning them to death with poison? Abortion procedures are so cruel and inhumane that the most vile criminals on death row would not be subjected to such treatment.
(4) We cannot impose our morality on others. Wouldn't this same argument apply to murder or rape? Our nation was founded on morality. Those who make this argument are the very people trying to impose their immorality on others!
(5) People are going to have abortions anyway. Again, this argument could apply to murder or rape. Because people are going to murder anyway, should we go ahead and legalize murder? Laws do affect behavior and change attitudes.
(6) Rape victims should be able to abort the child. The violence of abortion parallels the violence of rape. Why should the innocent child suffer the death penalty for the actions of his father? Abortion will not bring healing to the woman, it will only add to the shame. Less than 1% of abortions are performed as a result of rape.
(7) If we outlaw abortions, many women will die in back alleys. The number of mothers who may die in back alleys trying to have an abortion pales in comparison to the number of babies who die each day in abortion clinics. Since the Roe v. Wade decision, more than 50 million babies have been killed in this country.
(8) You support the death penalty. Capital punishment is rooted in a respect for innocent human life. There is a vast difference between punishing a convicted murderer and killing an innocent child. God supports the death penalty and opposes abortion.
There are probably other arguments that people make, but these eight are the most common ones. There is no good reason to have an abortion. Give life a chance!