Friday, February 25, 2011

Teenager Mistakenly Given Abortion Drug in Colorado

        A pregnant teenager named Mareena Silva was mistakenly given an abortion drug and may lose her first baby. Silva, who is six weeks pregnant, went to a Safeway pharmacy in Ft. Lupton, Colorado to pick up an antibiotic, but was given methotrexate instead. Methotrexate is used in chemotherapy and to terminate early-stage pregnancies.

        The mistake was not noticed until Silva became nauseated. She was then rushed to the Platte Valley Medical Center and given charcoal to absorb the methotrexate. Doctors told Silva that she may miscarry or have a baby with birth defects. "This is my first child, so it's really difficult to deal with," said Silva. 

        According to Mike Cohen, president of the Institute for Safe Medicine Practice, methotrexate mix-ups have caused 26 to 30 deaths in recent years. Safeway released a statement that said in part, "We have extended our sincere apologies to Ms. Silva and offered to pay any medical expenses incurred as a result of the prescription error." Unfortunately, no amount of money can save her baby.   

Copyright 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment